Wednesday 16 November 2016

England female player who has lighted Serie A

















Former Everton Ladies left-back Paige Williams has enjoyed fine success, winning two major trophies last season.

After a move to Verona in the summer for
another season as a full-time Serie A player, the
21-year-old has gained further Women's Champions League experience and has her sights on the England senior team.


However, according to Paige, moving to Italy did not come without some interesting challenges.

"The first few months I thought 'I can't handle
it, I can't understand a word they're saying',"
the England Under-23 international told BBC
Sport. "The coach didn't speak English.

"I was standing at the back of the line in training, just so I could watch to see what was going on. Then I had a few Italian lessons, things got easier and you just sort of fit in.

"My Italian isn't too bad now - if you can imagine a Scouse Italian, what that sounds like - I can get by and have a conversation now."

Williams - one of only two British players currently in the Women's Serie A along with Scotland and Tavagnacco striker Lana Clelland  said she has no regrets about her life-changing decision to leave Merseyside - even if she arrived in rather less glamorous style than England number one Joe Hart when he joined Torino on loan in August.

"I packed my life up and I drove here from Liverpool," she continued. "It took me 17 hours, in a little Fiat 500. It was the best decision I ever made."

Everton boss Andy Spence, under whom the left-back says she learnt a great deal, recalls Williams having early intentions to nurture her talents on the continent.

"Paige always had that ambition to play abroad, even when she was 13, 14 years old," he said.

"She is now fulfilling that ambition and the style of football seems to suit her."


After playing 35 matches at various youth levels for England, Williams has long been seen as a potential future star, but her career took an unwanted twist in 2013 when she required an operation on a serious anterior cruciate knee ligament injury.

"I'd never even pulled a muscle. I thought I was taking care of myself. Then, during training, it went," she recalled.

"Through all the rehab, Andy Spence was unbelievable - he was there every day, motivating me and was fully supportive."

She recovered in time to play for England at the 2014 Under-20s World Cup, in a squad that included winger Nikita Parris - now a senior international player.

So, having impressed alongside England's brightest young stars, why leave the Women's Super League for Italy?

"I knew that, if I wanted to compete with England or push on that little step further, I needed to be full-time," said Williams.

"In Italy they're so tactical. We do tactics for at least 30-40 minutes every day. That was a part of my game I needed to work on."

After her relatively trophy-laden first season in Italy, Williams contemplated a return home, but eventually opted to join title-rivals Verona for 2016-17.

"I'm always looking to challenge myself and leave my comfort zone, so either way I was always going to try and leave Brescia, as amazing as it was," she explained.

"At Verona, we've got Spanish, German, Dutch, Greek and Swiss players too, so it is quite a mix.

"So I'm not the only one who isn't fully speaking the language - we're just learning to gel together and want to win the league and the Coppa Italia."

Verona are third in the table after their first five league matches of the season, but exited this term's Champions League after a 4-2 aggregate loss to BIIK-Kazygurt of Kazakhstan in October. Saturday's 5-0 win over Luserna - in which Williams netted her second goal of the season - means her side are just three points off top spot.

In the future, a return to the WSL could be on the cards for Williams, who is part of England's 'Next Generation' squad.

"My main ambition now is I want to make the next step with the national team - the seniors is in sight," she said.

"Playing in England will be the first move in making that become a bit more of a reality, because they can watch me every day there.

"While I'm young, I think I've gained so many valuable experiences from being abroad."

Spence added: "I'm sure at some stage she'll be back over playing in England again but she'll be a better player and a more rounded and enhanced person for her experiences."making that become a bit more of a reality, because they can watch me every day there.




BBC sports 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We value your comments. Please post below